Myriam's Muse

Every morning I create a newsletter called Myriam's Muse. This blog is the rest of the story. If you would like to receive my muse send a blank email to myriamsmuse-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains, United States

Myriam is spiritual counselor and coach with more than 35 years of experience. She accepts a limited number of clients that are looking to develop life skills that will improve the process of self-enrichment.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Sunday is a Play Day


If I get to pick what I want to do, then it's play... If someone else tells me that I have to do it, then it's work.
Patricia Nourot



I had a horrible revelation. I am an addict. Now I always knew I have an addictive personality. I was talking with my sister Glenna and said: I did not work Saturday evening. There is something wrong with me that I think I have to work 24/7 so I have declared this a play day...


Well, it will be when I get my work done. There I go! It seems that I have this compulsion to just work. I think it is because for the most part it is fun. It took a long time for me to get to the place where I mostly do what I want to do but fortunately for me what I like to do is write. Sometimes when I write, it is work. Sometimes when I write, it is pure labor. But always when I write it is play. To bad I don't write plays and then I could have a double pay for my play. However, everything I seem to do seems to be word play.


A domestic diva I am not. You can find a path through my house and sometimes the dishes make it into the dishwasher. The laundry is for those to do who run out of clothes. Food and cooking is often play. The only time I can be seduced away from my addiction to work is by another stronger addiction and that is to go out to dinner and have a drink and visit with my best friend and husband Mark. Unfortunately I have to do the game of pay for play in order to do that.


I sit here at my computer and I think: What would I be doing if I didn't do this? What else could give me as much pleasure? I think when I have worked at "real jobs" in the past it was only to allow me the resources so I could come and play.


I have often said: Play is child's work and work is adult's play.


If I could give you any gift today it would be that the work you do becomes your play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Make an appointment with Myriam
Bloogz